Travelling with minors across the German border

Reisehinweise für Minderjährige Enlarge image (© colourbox) Minors crossing the border to or from Germany have to carry a valid passport. The so called "Kinderausweis" (children's pass) is no longer issued but may be used until expiry.

Starting June 26, 2012, child entries in the passports of parents have become invalid and no longer entitle the child to cross the border to another country. This change, however, does not affect the validity of the parents' passports. They will remain valid without any restrictions. Children need their own passport.

When travelling alone, children need to produce a certified declaration of consent (see right side) of their legal guardians. 

For minors who are accompanied by just one guardian it is strongly suggested to submit a certified declaration of consent of the other legal guardian.

Read more about the certification of signatures:

Certification of Signatures