A brief history of the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Singapore

In August 1965, Singapore left the Malayan Federation due to economical, political and ethnical divergencies. The small island became the independent Republic of Singapore. The Federal Republic of Germany almost immediately took up diplomatic relations with the city state.

As a consequence, the hitherto German Consulate General was upgraded to an Embassy. The German Embassy was at first situated on Robinson Road. In 1967, it moved to Orchard Road where the diplomats and the local employees took office on the 6th floor of the International Building. In 1978, the Embassy relocated to the Far East Shopping Centre – at that time the most modern building on Singapore’s famous shopping street.

In September 2004 the German Embassy moved again. It is now located on the 12th floor of the Singapore Land Tower.

Consul Generals und Ambassadors in Singapore since 1953: 

Since  2017    Ambassador Dr. Ulrich A. SANTE
2014 - 2017    Ambassador Dr. Michael WITTER
2011 - 2014    Ambassador Angelika VIETS
2008 – 2011    Ambassador Jörg RANAU
2006 – 2008    Ambassador Folkmar STOECKER
2002 – 2006    Ambassador Andreas MICHAELIS
1999 – 2002    Ambassador Volker SCHLEGEL
1996 – 1999    Ambassador Jürgen OESTREICH
1989 – 1996    Ambassador Dr. Karl SPALCKE
1986 – 1989    Ambassador Dr. Joachim KAMPMANN
1984 – 1986    Ambassador Dr. Richard LOUIS
1980 – 1984    Ambassador Dr. Wolfram DUFNER
1977 – 1980    Ambassador Dr. Hildegunde FEILNER
1973 – 1977    Ambassador Dr. Hans J. DIETRICH
1970 – 1973    Ambassador Dr. Wilhelm LÖER
1966 – 1970    Ambassador Oswald FREIHERR VON RICHTHOFEN
1965 – 1966    Ambassador Detlev SCHEEL
1963 – 1965    Consul General Detlev SCHEEL
1958 – 1963    Consul General Dr. Heinrich RÖHREKE
1953 – 1958    Consul General Dr. Hans Ulrich GRANOW

Brief history of the German Embassy